Translate

Monday, November 4, 2013

The Little Vampire Obsessed Revival

Okay, if this were a church revival, it would get a hell of a lot more attention.

That out of the way and filling my quota of witty (if less than age-appropriate) remarks for the day, on to more serious matters. The author of the original The Little Vampire Obsessed, which will go in the Links section of this blog, is now incommunicado, it seems, but she (he?) did once suggest that I should be a sort of co-founder for that blog. Of course, I have no idea how that works, and now I'm faced with no other choice but to revive the blog, because it's been pretty much static for almost a year now. Therefore, here you'll find everything The Little Vampire (the 2000 movie, as well as some material from the two series (1985 and 1993 respectively) and the books (which I haven't read and can't find in the states to save my life)) all in one place.

That's my reason for this blog, and I hope to be more attentive to it than I am to my other online escapades (save LiveJournal and Fanfiction.Net) and more attentive than the original author was to his/her effort. Of course, the original still remains posted, so as long as that's true, you can still check it out. Just click that link right over there, on the side of the page -->

The movie's a bit different from the books and the series, let me get that out of the way first. First difference is the language: the movie is in English, and the books and series are originally in German. Second is the setting: the movie takes place in Scotland, the books and series in Germany. Third is the plot: As I understand it, the books and series have nothing to do with the vampires wanting to turn human (and the vampires are half their age in the books as they are in the movie), but instead them trying to avoid local vampire hunter Geiermeier (Rookery) and live peaceful lives and go generally unnoticed. And Rudolph's befriending a human gets him banished until the vampires throw a party that forgives everything. (Wow, vampires have a culture. Imagine that.) The movie goes a bit like this:

Tony Thompson moves to Scotland because his dad has to build a golf course for a Scottish lord. Once there, he starts having nightmares about a clan of vampires getting attacked by a vampire hunter and losing their amulet to the sea, and one of their own who dives to catch it. Of course, for whatever reason, Tony blurts all this out in school, and the end result is that he sounds insane and is bullied rather frequently (actually daily) by the lord's grandsons (which makes me wonder where their father is in all of this, but I digress). One night, a vampire flies into Tony's room, looking to escape Rookery, and mistakes Tony for a vampire initially. The vampire tries to attack Tony but is too weak to do much, and must be taken to a barn to feed on a cow. Tony gets nearly splattered by Rookery in his behemoth of a truck, the vampire (named Rudolph) saves his life, and it's the beginning of a beautiful friendship. Tony then spends the rest of the movie getting revenge on the bullies and helping Rudolph and his family find the missing amulet that will restore their humanity (which would give Rookery what he wanted in the first place, which was no more vampires, but in order to move a plot forward, one needs an antagonist. Again, I digress).

So that's the long and the short of the movie, to give a little background about this movie that I love so much that I'm willing to start a (largely unnoticed, I predict) blog about it, resurrecting another largely unnoticed effort done by another such devoted fan. Like him/her, I also have high hopes for this piece. I have plans for vids of all sorts (the movie included, as well as fanvids and vids of Runrig, which this movie led me to, and I can show you how), links to related pages and some not so related pages, fan art, fan fiction, etc. I suppose you could say the effort is to bring together into a (semi)cohesive format the entire body of knowledge on this movie, though odds are I won't come anywhere close, because for every two thousand people to watch a movie, there are two thousand and six interpretations (writers, producers, editors, and directors included in that latter figure). But I can try.

Now, look. I know this is a fourteen-year-old movie, and just one at that, and also this isn't Twilight or True Blood or Interview With the Vampire, but I can say with perfect certainty that this movie changed my life and gave me direction and purpose for longer than I can remember clearly. I have a deep love for The Little Vampire, and as I once wrote in a personal document, it is my "eternal and constantly present guide through life". I know this sounds like I'm taking things a bit far, but it's true. The Little Vampire led me to Runrig, which led me to Gaelic, which it is now my passion to learn and become fluent in. It also led me to Scotland, where I now hope to one day live, if only for a year or so. It helped instill in me a lifelong love of the vampire and Halloween. All of these are things which define me as a person at this point in my life, and it's almost inconcievable to me that I would be any of these things without The Little Vampire to thank for it. And I would also like to thank Gregory, for being the first of several slightly older men that I would develop crushes on and/or date.

"Any and every excuse for loving that movie is welcomed here," so says Thriscara, the originator of TLV Obsessed, and even no excuse at all, in my book. You can just love a good movie. People do that all the time. My job here is to provide as much information and quality material as possible and bring it to one place in hopes of helping others and maybe gathering a following (you never know).

So here there will be vids, fan art, fanfiction, fanfiction concepts, screencaps, good music (I think, at least), commentary on the movie and any related materials, and possibly a photo gallery as well. If anyone has any material they'd like posted here, please email freakygeek@solution4u.com or PM me on Fanfiction.Net at www.fanfiction.net/~tjguard (though for pictures and videos, the email is probably your best bet) and please know that I will be watching for spam, weirdos, and general anomalies of all sorts, so if you're a prince from Nigeria, forget it.

So enjoy and drop a line with anything good if you've got it!

No comments:

Post a Comment